Trick Tuners Forums

Go Back   Trick Tuners Forums > Trick Tuners > The "How to" section for the DIY guys

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Joe@Trick Tuners
Administrator
Joe@Trick Tuners's Mods

Default 4R70W Transmission Flush Procedure

I am not an expert, but most of this is based on experts opinions that I have gathered off of the internet, so use basic logic and don't do anything stupid like trying this after a 2 hour drive when the cats are still blazing hot. The general procedure can be used for all 4R70W transmissions from mustangs, to crown victorias, to F150, etc. In 2002, and some late 2001s, they stopped putting drain plugs on the torque converter. If you have a drain plug you can drain the converter with that, but this procedure is a bit easier and still exchanges all the old fluid for fresh fluid. These directions were made up while I flushed the fluid on my 2003 crown vic LX sport with 89,000miles.
  1. Gain access to the transmission by placing the car on jack stands, wheel ramps, a lift, etc. * (see edit notes at the bottom for an alternate method that might be easier) *
  2. Loosen all the transmission bolts a tiny bit. The trans may start dripping fluid!
  3. Remove all bolts except 2 on the front and 2 on the back.
  4. Loosen the bolts on the front until fluid starts draining.
  5. Wait for a bunch of fluid to come out into your catch container. Have cardboard, news paper etc, because it can get messy.
  6. Loosen the back bolts more, then support the front of the trans and remove the front bolts.
  7. Loads more fluid will come out.
  8. Hold the trans pan up to the trans and remove the back 2 bolts.
  9. Lower the pan and dump the rest of the fluid into your container.
  10. Wipe the pan super clean and get all the metal particles off of the magnet. You might see a little plastic plug (pic below) in the transmission pan if it has never been changed before. Throw this away, it was only there for the manufacturing process.
  11. Clean the gasket area on the pan and the transmission.
  12. Wipe the bottom of the transmission to get it pretty clean. It will continue to drip for a long time, but don't worry about getting all the fluid out.
  13. Remove the filter by pulling down. The orange O ring seal thing will probably get stuck in the transmission, so use a hook or small screw drive to pop it out. Don't damage the metal at all!!
  14. Lube the o ring on the new filter with some fluid that is probably still dripping off the trans and gently, but firmly, push it up until it pops into place. You might need to twist it a bit. The indents on the filter go around the bolts on the trans so make sure its all the way up there.
  15. Fill with 4 quarts of mercon V using a funnel on the trans dip stick tube.
  16. I wait 5 to 10 min just to make sure that the filter is wetted properly. I have no idea if this is needed, but its a good break point for a beer or soda.
  17. Remove the rubber line, that comes from the radiator to the upper port on the trans, from the the hard line. Install a longer tube around the rubber hose because the fluid will pump out of there.
  18. Have a friend watch the hose (clear tubing is better) and start up the car. Hold the brake (with the ebrake on) and shift from P to R, to N, to D, pausing about 5 seconds at each one. This will clear out the valve body. I did this on the first and second flush only. It would be wise to never have anyone under the vehicle while it running.
  19. As soon as your helper sees lots of bubbles coming out, or you fill up your measuring container, turn the car off.
  20. It helps to measure the fluid that comes out, and add that much back in. I did 2 quarts at a time and flushed until I had gone through a total of 14 quarts (10 during flushing, 4 into the pan)
  21. Check the level on the dipstick with the car running in park.
  22. I drove it around the block with low throttle and the pan was totally dry. I added about 4 or 5 more quarts, checking the fluid level in park with the engine running. Sometimes it helps to wait a bit for the ATF in the dip stick tube to all drain down because it coats the dip stick when you pull it out. Its probably smarter to put it in D, drive 10-20' then put it in reverse and do that a couple times and recheck the fluid.
  23. Take another short drive around the block and make sure that the fluid is at the proper level.
  24. Take a longer test drive up to about 60-65mph and then recheck the fluid.
  25. Check the fluid for the next couple days to make sure its at the right level. I probably checked my levels over 50x during this procedure!
Now you just gave your transmission some quality treatment, better than what 99.9% of other people do! (and WAY better than those crappy transmission flush machines!.

Edit: After thinking about this a bit more it probably would have been easier to unhook the return line and pump as much fluid as possible out of the pan. That would make dropping the pan less messy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-18 cv trans 001 (Large).jpg
Views:	2338
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	133   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-18 cv trans 003 (Large).jpg
Views:	2117
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	134   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-18 cv trans 004 (Large).jpg
Views:	2052
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	135   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-18 cv trans 005 (Large).jpg
Views:	2108
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	136   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-18 cv trans 006 (Large).jpg
Views:	2181
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	137  

Default Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
Joe@Trick Tuners
Administrator
Joe@Trick Tuners's Mods

More pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-18 cv trans 008 (Large).jpg
Views:	2055
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	138   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-18 cv trans 009 (Large).jpg
Views:	1879
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	139   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-18 cv trans 011 (Large).jpg
Views:	1833
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	140  

Default Reply With Quote

Tags
4r70w, atf, auto transmission, flush, mercon v, procedure, return line, transmission flush