Trick Tuners Forums

Old 07-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Joe@Trick Tuners
Administrator
Joe@Trick Tuners's Mods

Talking Africa Blog

First i would like to thank my parents, and Bob and Sylvia for being so generous, and helping out so much with the wedding and the reception dinner. No words can express our gratitude.

A huge thanks to Melissa and Andy for setting up our hotel with rose pedals, food, and champagne, and to Niles and Elisa for helping out with the setup and take down.

We would also like to thank the bridal party, for all the help, and thank everyone who came to our wedding from long distances, or from near by.

Mark Stevens did a kick ass job as the photographer of our wedding and hopefully he can post up a picture or 2. (DarkGT)

We arrived in Jo-berg (as the locals call it) at about 6pm local time, about 27hrs after we left out hotel in San Diego. The plane flight was not bad at all and i got a lot of reading and sleeping in. Jo-Berg is much more civilized than i expected, and very similar to san diego or LA. The hotel is super nice, free wifi (that i'm on now) and some good food. We are about to crash out soon (its 10:30pm) so we are ready for our first day in checking out animals. I'll post up here to update if i have internet at some of the hotels.

Edit: Anybody can comment but you will need to register and then confirm the email. After that you will still not be able to post until i add you the next time i log on. If you use a weird username or a weird email address i will probably delete if it looks like a spammer (yeah, they spam forums too).

Talking Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
DarkGT
DarkGT's Mods

Send a message via AIM to DarkGT Send a message via Yahoo to DarkGT

Here are some teasers

Default Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Joe@Trick Tuners
Administrator
Joe@Trick Tuners's Mods

Thanks Mark! They look great!

Default Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
wraitherlx
wraitherlx's Mods

nice pictures there Joe, congratulations and have fun

Default Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Joe@Trick Tuners
Administrator
Joe@Trick Tuners's Mods

Today is the second day at the beautiful Nkozami private game reserve. The place is AMAZING! We saw an ostrich from about 5' when we arrived and were waiting for a ride to the camp. Its about a 20 minute drive on a dirt road off of the main road to get to the 'tents'. On the way there we say TONS of animals like giraffes, zebras, antelope, wildebeest, etc. Our 'tents' are about 50' from the river and have king size beds, solid wood floors, outside bathtubs, hot water, flush toilets with a screen view towards the river, inside showers, heaters, air conditioners, and a super cold jacuzzi with a river view. The days are nice and warm, but the nights and mornings are pretty cold. We woke up blowing steam, but they have tons of heavy blankets, and a nice warm water pouch to keep your feet warm.

We started off our first night with a game drive. We saw 4 rhino, tons of giraffes, ostrich, elan, springbok, blesbock, and tons more. Our guide Hugo knows every single animal name and was very helpful. After the game drive was a nice dinner, with beef curry, corn soup, chicken kebabs, prawns, salad, and some nice wine. It was some guys birthday so we got chocolate cake with a sparkler, as the candle, for dessert.

Today started with a wake up call at 6am (its chilly then). I wore a long sleeve shirt, fleece, and then a light down jacket with a beanie and gloves to stay warm. The other 2 guys told us to bring our hot water feet heaters on the game drive, and it was a great idea! At 6:30 we had tea / coffee and some of the best muffins I have ever had. We hopped into the land cruiser for a 3hr game drive. We saw giraffes, wildebeests, zebras, lots of antelope, cool birds. We also saw some old rock piles from the indigenous people of about 1400 years ago. Pretty cool!

After the game drive we had a delicious breakfast. I had eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, toast, and Alicia had grilled mushroom, grilled tomatoes, French toast and fried bananas. Alicia says they are trying to fatten us up here. Haha.

The 2 guys from Poland left after breakfast and right now we are 2 of 3 guests in a park that is 75,000 acres or about 115 sq miles. Its kind of like a super kick ass wild animal park with no fences, and WAY bigger, and we are the only people other than the workers. We just went to explore the other tents and we saw about 15 Nayala (deer like things but bigger) and then we decided to walk down to the Komati river (30Km of the river is in the reserve). We saw about 7 monkeys so I ran back to the tent and grabbed the camera. I took a bunch of pictures of the monkeys from our porch. Now we are hanging out in the nice communal tent near the river with free wifi! (dialup, but hey, we are miles from any civilization)

We have a break from 11 to 3 and then we are going on a mountain bike ride before dinner with a short game ride. Tomorrow we are going on a bush walk and then taking a drive to see some old pictograms the natives painted a long time ago.

Default Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
SGormican

Joe and Alicia,
Thanks for getting married - it was a heck of party. Great to get the updates on your honeymoom. Stay safe and don't pet any rhinos. We're looking forward to the pictures when you get back.
Steve and Sue

Default Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Joe@Trick Tuners
Administrator
Joe@Trick Tuners's Mods

about 600 pics so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-7-7 155 (Large).jpg
Views:	316
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	22   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-7-7 167 (Large).jpg
Views:	293
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	23   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-7-7 273 (Large).jpg
Views:	285
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	24   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-7-7 296 (Large).jpg
Views:	283
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	25   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-7-7 338 (Large).jpg
Views:	281
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	26  

Default Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Joe@Trick Tuners
Administrator
Joe@Trick Tuners's Mods

more (select pics up to about 480)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-7-7 437 (Large).jpg
Views:	278
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	27   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-7-7 456 (Large).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	28   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-7-7 469 (Large).jpg
Views:	286
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	29   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-7-7 473 (Large).jpg
Views:	321
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	30   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-7-7 490 (Large).jpg
Views:	289
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	31  

Default Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
SGormican

Wow!! What an experience! Any of those would be great pictures for your house!
Mom and Dad

Default Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Alicai

Default In Hazy View

Joe and I haven't had access to the internet since we were at the Nkozami Private Reserve, but we have certainly had a great time!!! We are outside of the Kruger Park in the small town of HazyView (and I mean small!!!). Internet is $2 for 5 minutes so we just wanted to shoot off a short post that we're doing great and having a wonderful honeymoon. You won't believe all the wildlife we've seen including a CLOSE encounter with an elephant and a few lion sightings We'll post a longer update as soon as we get more internet access.

Can't wait to share all of our memories with you, but we'll be sad to leave S. Africa in a few days, it's been so much fun.

Alicia and Joe

Default Reply With Quote