Trick Tuners Forums

Go Back   Trick Tuners Forums > Trick Tuners > The "How to" section for the DIY guys

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Joe@Trick Tuners
Administrator
Joe@Trick Tuners's Mods

Default Maximum Motorsports Max Grip install (02 GT)

It might take me a while to update this thread, but I'll get it started now. Here are some cut and pastes from a local forum where I posted some info.

Contents: pretty much the entire max grip package with a big thanks to LCR for the sweet deal!

The project started out as a header leak (damn JBA shorties!) but those bolts are WAY up in there so i figured that a new K member would make things easier. If i'm getting a K, i might as well do the coil overs, solid steering shaft, and lower arms while i'm at it. Then i figured, if i'm doing the front, i might as well do the back. I can't wait to try it out! Coming from 100% stock suspension (except subframes and CC plates) i expect a large increase in overall performance.

Day 1-2

I finished up fabricating a bar to hold up the motor when i pull the K member. It was a little different than the standard bar because i want to be able to run the motor with the K member out so i can heat cycle the header bolts (stage 8 going in), and the KB limits my lifting points. I am lifting off the giant aluminum block that comes with the KB, by some bolts welded onto a new 1/4" alternator mount i cut out with the torch, and a side support. I got the car level on the lift but still need to put it on jack stands. It was a lot of fun welding and I am getting much better. I wanted to tig most of it, but i ran out of tig gas when i had part of 1 side done so i mig'd the rest.
Pics coming soon (i got a new canon XS too!)

Day 3
I removed the brakes, lower arms, spindles, sway bar, struts and steering rack. Some of the spindle tapered bolts gave me shit. I would suggest removing the steering rack just after unbolting the sway bar links, and hang it off the sway bar. The steering turn buckles came off after some beating with a hammer from the side, then a good pop from the top with a hand held sledge. Then remove the struts and support the lower arm on something. I beat the hell out of the spindle tapered bolt and the passenger side was a major PITA. I took the lower arm off the car with the spindle still on it. I beat it up some more, and jerked it around a bunch then it popped off. But i was a total dumb ass and left the bolt part way on the threads so i could hit it better. Once the spindle popped, the bolt was stuck so i had to cut it off to remove the spindle. The drivers side was much easier. Jerking the spindle back and forth, and side to side with serious force helped a lot (i think). Yes, those are nails in the spring compressor picture. I figured it was not dangerous enough, so i spiced it up a bit.

Day 4
My lifting bar was not strong enough to hold the motor so i had to weld on another bar. I got the K member to within 1mm on all the measurements. Not a hard job, but tedious to measure everything a couple times. It says to attach the support bar, but then you remove it, so just wait until you get it up in there.

Day 5
I got the lower arms, spindles, coil overs, and bump steer kit on. The steering shaft still needs to be connected inside the car, but i have limited room and i got pissed and said i'd do it another day. The instructions say to load the spring a couple turns at your desired ride height, but this resulted with about a 3" drop instead of 1" like i was looking for. More info will come when i upload the pictures from this day.

Click here to see more of the install and fabrication pics.

Default Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Joe@Trick Tuners
Administrator
Joe@Trick Tuners's Mods

Rear suspension weights
Code:
Stock
Swaybar              10lb
Shock                2.5x2=5lb
Spring               5x2=10lb
Lower arms           6x2=12lb
quad shocks (both)   5lb
Dog bone             8lb
Total                   46lb
Maximum Motorsports
swaybar              14lb
Shock and coilover   6lb
Lower arms           6lb
Panhard              16lb
TQ arm               22lb
TQ arm parts         17lb
Total                   93lb
So it adds 47lbs to the rear. Damn!

Default Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Joe@Trick Tuners
Administrator
Joe@Trick Tuners's Mods

Front suspension

Code:
Stock
K member               46lb
Steering Shaft        3.6lb
Lower control arm    12lb x2
Total = 73.6lbs

MM
K member               35lb
Steering Shaft         4.5
Lower control arm    7.5lb x2
Total = 54.5lb
19.1lb weight savings not counting the springs and struts (I forgot to weight the MM ones. The stock springs are 8lb and the struts are 9lb). I would estimate another couple pounds of weight savings due to the smaller springs.

Default Reply With Quote